Rise in Cumbria's unemployment rate
Published at 10:31, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Unemployment in Cumbria rose sharply in January, ending a run of five consecutive monthly falls.
Official figures show there were 8,982 people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, 544 more than in December.
The county’s unemployment rate jumped from 2.7 per cent to 2.9.
Allerdale’s jobless total increased by 131 to 2,032, giving the borough an unemployment rate of 3.4 per cent.
Carlisle’s climbed 155 to 2,223 (3.2 per cent), Copeland’s by 76 to 1,576 (3.5 per cent), Eden’s by 30 to 408 (1.3 per cent), Barrow’s by 82 to 1,843 (4.2 per cent) and South Lakeland’s by 70 to 900 (1.4 per cent).
There is always a sharp rise in unemployment in January following a shake out of seasonal jobs in food production and retailing after Christmas.
Wages, meanwhile, continue to lag behind inflation.
Average earnings increased by 1.4 per cent in the year to December, well below CPI inflation at 2.7 per cent.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Women's plus-size fashion retailer to open in Workington
- Cumberland Building Society boss stepping down
- Five taken on in Cumbrian company's apprentice scheme
- Passport problems boost Cumbrian visitor numbers
- Cumbrian developer Story buys new site for 117 houses
- Cumbrian firm's packaging deal for German energy bars
- Cumbrian pitch firm lands another deal
- Familiar high street names reopen in Carlisle
- Carlisle Leisure Ltd plans merger with larger organisation
- Cumbria playing lead role in cyber security
- Motorcyclist airlifted after serious crash near Carlisle
- Ulverston driver, 82, banned after causing crash
- Dalton man, 26, jailed after choking pet to get back at ex
- Donations ensure Sarah McClay's red squirrel work will continue to thrive in Cumbria
- Kitchen cocaine man jailed
- Village mourns businessman killed in crach
- Italian restaurant to close
- Carlisle's Swallow Hilltop Hotel to close
- Seven vehicle crash outside Cumbrian pub
- Three fighting for life following Carlisle M6 crash