Rise in Cumbria's unemployment rate
Published at 10:31, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Unemployment in Cumbria rose sharply in January, ending a run of five consecutive monthly falls.
Official figures show there were 8,982 people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, 544 more than in December.
The county’s unemployment rate jumped from 2.7 per cent to 2.9.
Allerdale’s jobless total increased by 131 to 2,032, giving the borough an unemployment rate of 3.4 per cent.
Carlisle’s climbed 155 to 2,223 (3.2 per cent), Copeland’s by 76 to 1,576 (3.5 per cent), Eden’s by 30 to 408 (1.3 per cent), Barrow’s by 82 to 1,843 (4.2 per cent) and South Lakeland’s by 70 to 900 (1.4 per cent).
There is always a sharp rise in unemployment in January following a shake out of seasonal jobs in food production and retailing after Christmas.
Wages, meanwhile, continue to lag behind inflation.
Average earnings increased by 1.4 per cent in the year to December, well below CPI inflation at 2.7 per cent.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|