North Cumbrian flour mill for sale
Last updated at 15:10, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
A unique opportunity has arisen to nurture a ‘flour-ing’ business.
The Watermill, at Little Salkeld near Penrith, a working 18th century flour mill, is up for sale.
The site, which also features a three-bedroom mill house, an award-winning tearoom and a seven acre smallholding is on the market with Carlisle estate agent Edwin Thompson.
John Haley, associate partner at Edwin Thompson, said: “This is a rare opportunity to purchase an attractive piece of history with an established and profitable business.
“The sale includes the mill and associated flour producing business, the attractive house and the tearoom which was awarded the Teashop of the Year 2012 in the Cumbria Life Food and Drink awards.
“This is a lifestyle which will appeal to many people who will enjoy the sustainable smallholding and continue to look after the heritage of the Watermill.”
The business has been run by Nick and Ana Jones since 1974.
Mrs Jones said: “It has been a pleasure and a privilege living and working at the Watermill but it is now time to hand it on to new owners.
“Our profitable and sustainable flour business is continued in the tearoom where we mostly use our own ingredients to provide high quality homemade products.
“We’ve developed the mill and adjoining buildings to provide a unique educational experience for all age groups.”
Little Salkeld Watermill is a member of the Traditional Cornmillers Guild, which supports and promotes artisan flour milling by water or wind power.
It has the capacity to mill more than 100 tonnes a year.
Mr Jones said: “Traditional mills are very much in the news.”
First published at 13:38, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)