Job security after Maryport firm wins windows and doors contract
Last updated at 13:05, Friday, 11 January 2013
A Maryport window firm has won a contract to supply 4,000 timber windows and 2,000 doors to a new Center Parcs site in Bedfordshire.
West Port, on the Solway Industrial Estate, will produce the fittings for the site’s 625 forest lodges, a 75-bed hotel, spa suites and facilities.
Sean Parnaby, managing director of West Port, said he was thrilled about the contract.
He said: “This will give job security to the workforce at West Port and will continue the success of the business that has grown substantially over the past few years, enjoying success in a depressed market.”
The firm, owned by the VKR Group, has become one of the UK’s largest bespoke timber window and door manufacturers.
This week it submitted a legal document to Allerdale council about the possibility of moving to the Lillyhall Business Park, near Workington, because it has outgrown its premises.
A new building which would be built opposite the Energus centre, would be twice the size of its current site.
Planning consultant Bob Metcalfe, of Lamplugh-based MJN Associates, said that it was “very early days” and the company was only looking at the possibility of moving. He said the firm had been looking for a new site for two years and had found nowhere suitable in Maryport.
“We believe the site at Lillyhall will fulfil most of the objectives, but whether they move is down to the board,” said Mr Metcalfe.
Allerdale council is due to inform Mr Metcalfe about whether an environmental assessment is required, which is what the screening opinion was submitted for.
He said that the plans were for a modern building which would be 140 sq ft.
It would feature a car park, vehicle turning areas and a waste wood-burning plant for heating.
Mr Metcalfe added that the company was not planning to take on any more staff.
First published at 13:00, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)