Historic Cockermouth hotel due to reopen next year
Last updated at 12:53, Friday, 30 November 2012
An historic hotel in Cockermouth is to reopen more than three years after it closed down during the floods.
Part of the Grade II-listed Globe Hotel in Main Street is due to open early next year
Owners Peter and Helen Brown want to reopen around a dozen of the hotel’s rooms and bar. Mr Brown said he was uncertain when the remainder of the hotel’s rooms would open as refurbishment was continuing.
It had been thought that the hotel, which was built in the 1700s, may be turned into a Wetherspoon pub but chain dropped plans to develop the site.
In January the owners put the hotel on the market for £595,000 with Edwin Thompson.
Mr Brown, who has owned the hotel for around 20 years, said: “We hope to have the hotel reopen again by February or March next year. There’s still some refurbishment work to do even when it has reopened.”
First published at 12:50, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)