Four Cumbria hotels make UK’s top 25 list
Last updated at 10:35, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Four Cumbrian hotels have made it on to a list of the top 25 in the UK.
Rampsbeck Country House Hotel is at 11, Gilpin Lodge Hotel and Lake House at 14, Overwater Hall at 17 and Merewood Country House Hotel, at 18, all made it on to the independent travel site – TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice list. Ambleside’s Riverside Hotel was named third in the ‘world’s best B&Bs’ category, moving up from its fourth place last year.
The annual list, compiled by the world’s largest travel website, is based on over 60 million reviews and opinions from travellers around the globe.
Ian Stephens, managing director of Cumbria Tourism, said: “TripAdvisor is now a fundamental part of the tourism industry as it is based purely on independent reviews.
“The fact that five of the top accommodation providers are from our region is testament to our impressive offering – congratulations to the individual businesses involved.”
Overall as a region, Cumbrian businesses came second only to Devon which laid claim to the first-place winner and four of the top 10.
Rampsbeck Country House Hotel at Watermillock beside Lake Ullswater was rated “excellent” by holidaymakers.
General manager Tracey McGeorge said: “We are really delighted for all the team because it is very much a team effort.
“It’s nice because these are genuine holidaymakers taking the time to review the hotel which is very flattering.
“It was a surprise: We saw it on the news and then several of our regular customers gave us a call to congratulate us.”
One guest, writing on the TripAdvisor website, said: “We’ve just spent a four night stay for our honeymoon and we didn’t want to leave. The building is lovely, the service is second to none.”
Another wrote: “From the moment of arrival until our departure we were treated like royalty. Service was polite but not over stuffy and nothing was too much trouble.”
First published at 08:58, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Thank you for using a picture of Overwater Hall in the Tripadvisor article, but, as we are the only hotel in Cumbria to have appeared in the Tripadvisor top-twenty two years running, and also currently feature at number one in Cumbria, (Gilpin Lodge is number4 and Rampsbeck is number 6) a quotation from us might have been nice!
Make your comment
Have your say
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (26 comments)
- Cumbria police launch review to save £10.4m (9 comments)
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (47 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (44 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green