Extra trains between Cumbria and London for Olympics
Last updated at 14:04, Thursday, 24 May 2012
Virgin Trains will provide thousands of extra seats between Cumbria and London this summer to cope with a surge in demand because of the Olympics.
Three extra trains will run every weekday in each direction between London and Glasgow on key dates in July, August and September.
All will call at Carlisle and some at Penrith.
The first starts on July 2 with the maximum number operating between July 27 and August 10, and from August 29 to September 7, when there will be 16 trains between Carlisle and London each day.
There are also extra Saturday services to Birmingham from July 7 to September 8.
Karen Hattie, Virgin Trains general manager for Scotland and North England, said: “Many more people are travelling on our trains.
“We expect to be even busier during the Olympics and Paralympics. The extra trains will offer at least one departure an hour on the busiest dates.”
The first of the extra Pendolinos will leave Carlisle at 10.45am on Monday July 2.
From the same date, a 10.30am train from London Euston will close what would otherwise be a two-hour gap between the 09.30am and 11.30am departures to Carlisle and Glasgow.
Extra trains to Carlisle and Glasgow will also leave London on key dates at 12.30pm and 2.30pm with additional trains from Carlisle to London at 4.48pm and 6.45pm. For more details, including fares, see nationalrail.co.uk or www.virgintrains.com or call 08457 48 49 50.
First published at 11:24, Thursday, 24 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)