Empty Cockermouth brewery building may become flats
Last updated at 12:37, Friday, 27 April 2012
Plans to create 16 new apartments next to the Jennings Brewery site in Cockermouth have been revealed.
Marston’s, which owns Jennings, has applied to Allerdale council to convert the Grade II listed Maltings building on Brewery Lane.
It was formerly used for brewery production, storage and offices but has stood empty since before the 2009 floods.
The company said that it has to be used for something before it deteriorates.
Marston’s has applied for permission to create 10 two-bedroom apartments and six three-bedroom apartments.
A building next to the Maltings, once used as a bottling plant, will be demolished to create 22 parking spaces, surrounded by a wall being built as part of the town’s flood defences.
The ground floor will be used as a storage area and include a lift as well as a cycle park.
First published at 11:25, Friday, 27 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)