Coronation Street gets facelift from Cumbrian roofing firm
Last updated at 15:00, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Iconic TV soap opera Coronation Street is being given a big make-over by a Cumbrian firm.
KL Venning Slaters Ltd, based near Orton, today started re-roofing properties along the famous cobbled street.
They include the Rovers Return pub, The Kabin shop, Audrey's hair salon, businesses Underworld and Street Cars, the medical centre, Victoria Terrace and the homes of the Platt and Webster families.
ITV is relocating the drama's set from Granada Studios in Manchester to nearby Trafford Wharf. The new set will replicate the appearance of the original Weatherfield but will be built on a larger scale to cater for the demands of high definition TV.
Venning director Lisa Elliot said they were proud to have won the work, which has given the workforce a huge boost.
The contract will take about two months to complete.
Lisa and her brother Kirk Venning, who is also a company director, took over from their father Keith Venning just over three years ago, changing the firm's name from KR Venning Slaters Ltd to KL Venning.
KL Venning Slaters Ltd won the contract via Askam Construction as a sub-contractor.
If all goes to plan with the set relocation, Coronation Street will start filming on the 7.7 acre site this spring.
First published at 14:45, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (24 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (17 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (110 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (44 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (2 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle man jailed for pestering probation office worker
- Ann cruises off to new life after 20 years at the helm
- MP stands by his BAE Systems Barrow ‘Bahamas’ jibe (38 comments)
- Handy contacts in the travel industry
- LAP-DANCING AT TOWN NIGHTCLUB
- CID boss had spell in Northern Ireland
- Four months for Barrow 999 phone pest
- Sellafield profits up – and so are directors’ pay packages (18 comments)
- Rock trio’s spring date
- Memories of Campbell’s lake speed attempts