£1.2bn subs contract secures 3,000 Cumbrian jobs
Last updated at 13:24, Monday, 10 December 2012
Thousands of Cumbrian jobs have been safeguarded through a billion pound-plus Government contract.
In a significant boost for the county’s economy, it was announced today that a £1.2 billion contract has been awarded to build the Royal Navy’s new hunter-killer submarine HMS Audacious.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) also announced that a further £1.5bn has been committed to the remaining three submarines in the class.
The £1.2bn contract with BAE Systems will safeguard 3,000 skilled jobs at Barrow in south Cumbria.
Audacious is the fourth of seven Astute Class submarines being built for the Royal Navy. They are the most technologically advanced the Royal Navy has ever sent to sea and will progressively replace the Trafalgar Class currently in service.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said: “This contract marks an important step forward in the progress of our Attack Submarine programme and moves the Royal Navy closer to adding more of these highly-advanced and powerful attack submarines to its fleet.
“This funding demonstrates our commitment not only to a key Royal Navy capability, but also to the submarine industry in Barrow, which will play a vital role in Britain’s defence for decades to come.”
Rear Admiral Simon Lister, the MoD’s director of submarines, said: “The Astute Class will become the jewel in the crown of the Royal Navy’s Submarine Service and boasts much greater firepower and more advanced sonar and communications than ever before. These submarines represent a huge leap forward in technology and will operate all over the world with the Royal Navy.”
First published at 11:19, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)