Burglar cried out after being hit by door he was hiding behind
Published at 10:09, Sunday, 27 July 2014
A man came across a burglar in his home when he swung open a door and heard someone cry “Ouch!”
Mark Whitehead, 27, had been hiding behind the door in the Workington home of Keith Elliott after targeting the house in a raid, a court heard.
But he shouted when the door struck him as he was caught red-handed – only to flee while being pursued by brave Mr Elliott.
Carlisle Crown Court heard that Whitehead also made a grab at a chain on Mr Elliott’s neck after stealing jewellery from the house.
Whitehead, of Queen Street, Maryport, was jailed for 28 months after admitting burglary.
Gerard Rogerson, prosecuting, told the court the burglary happened in Moss Bay Road on May 26. Mr Elliott woke at about 5.30am and noticed the door into one of the bedrooms was ajar.
Mr Rogerson told the court: “As Mr Elliott went into the room to open the curtains he heard somebody say: ‘Ouch!’
“Whitehead was standing behind the door in the bedroom. He ran out of the room, pursued by Mr Elliott.
“The defendant turned and made a grab at a chain Mr Elliott was wearing round his neck.”
The house had been “subjected to a degree of ransacking”, said Mr Rogerson, and jewellery was stolen.
His defence barrister, Alison Whalley, said he was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs when he committed the crime and was “very sorry and full of remorse and regret”.
The judge, Recorder Kevin Grice, passing sentence, described it as a “very serious” house burglary.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)