Burglar cried out after being hit by door he was hiding behind
Published at 10:09, Sunday, 27 July 2014
A man came across a burglar in his home when he swung open a door and heard someone cry “Ouch!”
Mark Whitehead, 27, had been hiding behind the door in the Workington home of Keith Elliott after targeting the house in a raid, a court heard.
But he shouted when the door struck him as he was caught red-handed – only to flee while being pursued by brave Mr Elliott.
Carlisle Crown Court heard that Whitehead also made a grab at a chain on Mr Elliott’s neck after stealing jewellery from the house.
Whitehead, of Queen Street, Maryport, was jailed for 28 months after admitting burglary.
Gerard Rogerson, prosecuting, told the court the burglary happened in Moss Bay Road on May 26. Mr Elliott woke at about 5.30am and noticed the door into one of the bedrooms was ajar.
Mr Rogerson told the court: “As Mr Elliott went into the room to open the curtains he heard somebody say: ‘Ouch!’
“Whitehead was standing behind the door in the bedroom. He ran out of the room, pursued by Mr Elliott.
“The defendant turned and made a grab at a chain Mr Elliott was wearing round his neck.”
The house had been “subjected to a degree of ransacking”, said Mr Rogerson, and jewellery was stolen.
His defence barrister, Alison Whalley, said he was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs when he committed the crime and was “very sorry and full of remorse and regret”.
The judge, Recorder Kevin Grice, passing sentence, described it as a “very serious” house burglary.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)