Carlisle Burger King demolition blow
Last updated at 12:20, Thursday, 13 September 2012
The Burger King restaurant in London Road, Carlisle, is to be demolished – to the astonishment of the 26 people who work there.
The fast-food outlet is in St Nicholas Gate Retail Park, which belongs to the Post Office pension fund.
The fund’s trustees want to knock down Burger King’s premises to create extra parking spaces in readiness for a supermarket opening at the northern end of the retail park.
The first that Burger King’s staff knew about this was when the city council put up notices saying it had received a planning application to demolish the 4,300sq ft restaurant.
Restaurant manager David Brown wrote to the council to say: “We have had no notification – on site or at head office – regarding the planned demolition.”
The application was lodged by the pension fund’s agent, Savills of Manchester.
Savills will exercise a clause in the lease to evict Burger King. It must give three months’ notice.
Signs posted outside say demolition is starting on December 1, but in practice nothing is likely to happen until next year.
Savills claims that Burger King has known for some time that the restaurant will have to be knocked down, although it has yet to formally serve notice on the company to quit.
Burger King is not saying what will happen to its employees when the restaurant does close.
A spokeswoman said: “We are in discussions with the landlord and local council about the proposed demolition plans for the St Nicholas Gate Burger King.
“For the time being it’s business as usual for our crew and customers.”
Savills wants to increase the number of parking spaces at the northern end of the retail park from 164 to 220.
Its planning application says: “Removing the [Burger King] unit will enable additional car parking spaces to be provided, which are a critical requirement of the proposed new anchor tenant.”
The city council agreed in June last year that three units at St Nicholas Gate could be made into a 46,300sq ft supermarket, potentially creating between 150 and 200 jobs.
Savills did not have a tenant, however, and has remained tight lipped about negotiations with potential occupiers.
Industry sources believe Asda is the most likely candidate.
First published at 10:49, Saturday, 08 September 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Smegga - If you can't use correct spelling and punctuation don't post on the internet.
When was the last time you saw the car park more then 30% full? asda wont be happy unless its them going into the old mfi and if it is then no problem, carnt wait to see all the cars going in to try and use it as a shortcut even after they block off the other access way, they will be the same prats who carnt get in the right lane at the new sainsburys AND the bypass up by asda. if you carnt read well signed roadways then get off the dam roads!!
View all 22 comments on this article