X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

BT wins £40m Cumbria superfast broadband deal

BT has won a £40m contract to roll-out superfast broadband across Cumbria.

The county council agreed the deal today, ending a bidding process that began in October 2010 when Cumbria was chosen for a Government subsidy to bring broadband to rural areas.

BT was the only remaining contender after rival Fujitsu pulled out this summer.

In June councillors rejected bids from BT and Fujitsu, saying that neither matched their ambition to deliver broadband speeds of 25Mbps by 2015 to 90 per cent of Cumbrian homes and businesses.

Since then the council has been locked in negotiations with BT to thrash out an acceptable agreement.

Councillor Liz Mallinson, the cabinet member responsible, said the Connecting Cumbria programme would bring “significant long-term benefits”.

She added: “This contract will provide essential infrastructure that will help the project deliver superfast broadband across rural and urban Cumbria to residents and businesses alike.”

The council has so far secured £23m of grant funding – including £17.1m from the Government’s Broadband Delivery UK project – and hopes to land £15.4m of European money.

In addition, it says, BT is investing £30m.

The aim is that 93 per cent of the county has access to superfast broadband by the end of 2015.

The cabinet’s decision to give the contract to BT Global Services could still challenged.

It is subject to a 10-day call in period under the council’s rules and there are still details to finalise before Ministers give their seal of approval.

The council should know by November if the deal complies with European state-aid legislation.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Is funding weight-loss surgery for more than a million obese and overweight people good use of NHS money?

Yes. Diabetes can be a killer. Prevention is better than cure.

No. Weight loss is in the hands of the obese. Change your habits.

Funding should be allowed only in extreme cases.

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: