Boy racer broke friend’s knee in Carlisle car park prank
Last updated at 11:28, Saturday, 02 February 2013
A boy racer crashed into a friend while performing stunts in a car park.
Christopher Coulthard Fisher, 19, broke Cameron Todhunter’s knee when he hit him with his car, a court heard.
Fisher, of Lochinbrigg, Armathwaite, had been racing around the Town Dyke Orchard car park in Carlisle City Centre, pulling hand brake turns in the early hours of the morning.
But the “foolish” stunts came to an end when he hit Mr Todhunter.
The judge, Recorder Philip Grundy, described the driving as “appalling” as he sentenced Fisher at Carlisle Crown Court. He was sentenced to 15 months imprisonment, suspended for two years, after he admitted dangerous driving.
The court heard the injury happened on August 28 last year.
Mr Todhunter had got out of a vehicle in the car park.
Fisher pulled into the car park, driving the length of it and performing hand brake turns.
Alan Lovett, prosecuting, said Mr Todhunter assumed Fisher would miss at the last minute as he drove near him, but caught his left leg.
The court heard Fisher stayed at the scene until police arrived and helped the injured man.
Defending, Mark Shepherd said Fisher was not “a particularly good or experienced driver” who had “failed to navigate the corner”.
He said Fisher was remorseful.
Recorder Grundy told Fisher: “This was an appalling lack of judgement on your part and you are a foolish young man to be driving in that manner.
“You are probably better off the roads. You are too young and irresponsible to be let loose in a motor car.”
Fisher was disqualified from driving for two years. He was also given a three-month 8pm until 5am curfew and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
He must pay £500 costs.
First published at 11:08, Saturday, 02 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (34 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Crarey to build Barrow Raiders team around Campbell (2 comments)
- Could overcrowding and fare hikes derail our train service?
- Workington clubbers rave as Madisons reunion event sells out (3 comments)
- Ulverston store developer tells of ‘frustrating time’ (50 comments)
- Cumbrian mum reveals ordeal of son abandoned in Kuwait by security firm