Big clean-up after tractor crash blocks main north Cumbria road
Last updated at 09:35, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
A tractor towing a trailer of manure toppled over spreading its load across a main north Cumbria road.
The accident, outside the Memorial Hall Community Centre on the way into Longtown, blocked the A7 for a number of hours.
Waste and broken glass from the tractor's smashed windows was spread over English Street.
The crash also damaged a fence near the community centre and destroyed a lamp-stand. This land belongs to Arthuret parish council.
The trailer started tipping over as the driver made his way into the town at about 9.45am yesterday.
Nicola Clark, 34, of Longtown, was walking her dog along English Street when the crash took place.
“I just heard a bang and a crash and I turned around and saw the tractor had toppled over,” she said.
Miss Clark, who is a trained first aider, helped the driver from his cab.
The clean-up involved around 20 to 30 police and street cleaners and took more than two hours.
Large diggers were used to remove much of the horse muck, which was loaded onto trailers.
The driver and several members of the public helped out with the clean-up.
Paul Brown, parish council chairman, said the clean-up had removed most of the waste.
“We just have to wait and hope that we get a good downpour,” he added.
Mr Brown said he believed the fencing could be quickly repaired but was not sure how long it would take to restore the lamp-stand.
First published at 09:33, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)