Bidding opens for Cumbria's £1m CCTV network
Last updated at 13:21, Friday, 09 May 2014
Bids are being taken from companies to install a £1 million CCTV network in Cumbria.
Police chiefs say plans are “on track” to provide a 54-camera system which will concentrate on key urban areas across the county.
Senior police revealed the latest on moves towards the new service at a meeting of senior crime-fighting figures.
CCTV systems were run in Cumbria by local authorities but came under threat during budget cuts.
Now work is underway on planning this new system, which will provide 15 cameras in Carlisle, nine in a patch covering Workington and Maryport, eight in Whitehaven and three in Penrith, with the rest in the south of the county.
Police have previously said the network will place Cumbria “at the forefront” of how camera schemes are run nationally.
Deputy Chief Constable Jerry Graham told the meeting: “CCTV has gone out to tender. Everything as it stands is on track.”
Costs are being split between a grant, the office of Cumbria’s crime commissioner and six district councils, which will pay out based on the number of cameras in their areas.
First published at 13:20, Friday, 09 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)