Tuesday, 01 December 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Best man arrested by police at Cumbrian wedding reception

Five police officers were needed to restrain the best man at a Workington wedding reception after he tried to headbutt one of their colleagues, a court heard.

Lee Teasdale, 27, of Ling Beck Park, Seaton had been drinking at a wedding on July 23 when he aimed two headbutts at PC Ruddick who had been trying to arrest him in the Gunners Club on suspicion of an earlier assault.

Teasdale initially pleaded not guilty to a charge of obstructing or resisting a constable in execution of his duty but changed his plea on the day of the trial.

He was given a nine-week curfew, instructed to remain indoors between 7pm and 6am and will be fitted with an electronic ankle tag.

He was also ordered to pay £50 compensation to PC Ruddick and £200 costs for the five police officers who had attended court to give evidence.

Gail Inglis, chairman of the bench, said: “You have pleaded guilty on the day of the trial for an offence of resisting a police constable.

“We have been told that it took five police officers to control you, which is an aggravating factor.

“There were two parts to the incident. It wasn’t brief and headbutts were aimed on two occasions. This is an unpleasant incident.”

Louise Cowen, prosecuting, said: “Officer Ruddick had cause to attend the Gunners Club in Workington following reports of an assault, along with four other officers.

“While at club he [PC Ruddick] noticed Mr Teasdale matched the description of an individual involved in an earlier assault.

“When he attempted to arrest him, he became aggressive and refused.

“He attempted to headbutt the officer who described him as very aggressive.”

West Cumbria Magistrates’ Court also heard he had again tried to headbutt PC Ruddick in the back of the police van, catching him on the side of the face though no injury was caused. One officer became so concerned that PARVA spray was used to subdue Teasdale, who was on bail for another offence at the time. He also has previous convictions, including one for affray for which was given a suspended prison sentence.

Ryan Foley, defending, said: “He clearly hasn’t decked himself out in glory.

“He had been out with friends celebrating a wedding party and was best man on this occasion.

“The next thing he knows police are coming in and placing handcuffs on him.”

Teasdale asked if he could appeal against the curfew so he could attend rugby training but his request was denied by magistrates.


He denied the assault which led to his arrest, claiming it was a case of mistaken identity. Police have been unable to prove he was responsible.


News & Star What's On search


Do you feel safe going to football matches?

1: Yes - there is hardly any trouble compared to the bad old days

2: No - sadly you will always get idiots who spoil if for rest

3: Depends - some clubs' fans are far worse than others

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: