Attack man facing long prison sentence, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 11:04, Friday, 15 August 2014
A 25-year-old Workington man faces being sent to prison after he admitted assaulting another man during a night out in Whitehaven.
Jamie Cogan, from Alexander Close, pleaded guilty to the attack when he appeared at Carlisle Crown Court but denied carrying a weapon.
Defence barrister Mark Shepherd said: “This is a serious matter which will lead to a lengthy term of imprisonment.”
The incident was in June and Cogan had been accused of carrying a letter opener in Queen Street.
However, Gerard Rogerson, prosecuting, said he accepted the “not guilty” plea because the alleged weapon was not produced.
Judge Paul Batty adjourned the case for reports and said that sentencing would be either at the end of September or the beginning of October.
Cogan was released on conditional bail and will be electronically monitored.
First published at 11:03, Friday, 15 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|