At least 10 vehicles involved in four crashes on M6
Last updated at 12:00, Tuesday, 13 May 2014
More than 10 vehicles crashed in at least four accidents in freak hailstorms which brought the M6 to a standstill in Cumbria.
Police say appalling weather caused a number of separate crashes involving cars and vans in separate incidents at around 5pm yesterday.
The first accident, south of Penrith, involved up to 11 vehicles although the emergency services said details were unclear today, with some vehicles believed to be witnesses who had stopped to help.
Police confirmed that at least six vehicles, including one HGV, were involved, with one car crashing into the central reservation on the northbound carriageway.
Three people sustained minor injuries and were treated by paramedics at the scene.
The Great North Air Ambulance and three fire crews attended the scene.
Just 10 minutes later, on the southbound carriageway near Shap, a Fiat car and a Vauxhall Corsa collided and skidded off the road.
And at around 6pm another vehicle collided with the central reservation on the southbound carriageway, just south of the roadworks near Penrith.
One mile north of the first incident another vehicle hit a bollard with another crashing into the back of it.
The crashes caused havoc on the motorway with lane closures and speed restrictions in place on both carriageways.
Junction 38 at Tebay and junction 40 at Penrith were closed following the accidents. No one was seriously hurt in the collisions.
A police spokeswoman said: “It appeared that drivers were not driving to the weather conditions at the time, resulting in some losing control.”
Cumbria Roads Police Unit wrote on Twitter shortly before 6pm yesterday: “Freak hail shower between Tebay and Shap. Nine vehicles in collision, no serious injuries.”
First published at 18:21, Monday, 12 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)