Arson probe after vehicles blaze at Cumbrian garage
Last updated at 10:47, Monday, 07 May 2012
An arson investigation is underway after a fire destroyed six vehicles and almost spread to nearby buildings.
The blaze broke out shortly after 9.30pm on Friday evening at Goode Garage in Sandysike, near Longtown.
Six vehicles, including a wagon, cars and a camper van, were completely burned out. It is believed the blaze started in one car and spread to those nearby.
The fire almost spread to the garage building, but the alarm was raised just in time. It was so intense that paint had melted off the cars and there was nothing left of many of the vehicle tyres.
Firefighters took three hours to put the fire out and doused nearby buildings to stop it spreading.
Because the fire had started under an overhead power line, workmen from United Utilities cut the electricity supply to ensure the safety of the firefighters as they worked to extinguish the blaze.
Carlisle Fire Station manager George Sansom, who was at the scene, said: “It was a substantial blaze and we feared that it was going to to spread through the building.”
“We are not sure how it started. Crime scene investigators have been looking at what happened.”
Police have now confirmed that they are investigating it a possible arson attack. Crime scene investigators were trawling the scene for evidence on Saturday. Michael Day, who owns the garage building but rents it out to a tenant, said he believed they were lucky it didn’t spread to the property.
“A man up the road apparently raised the alarm. If he hadn’t the whole thing might have gone up,” he said.
A neighbouring businessman said he was “concerned” about the incident.
He added that there had been break-ins in the past but nothing recently.
First published at 09:12, Monday, 07 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)