Two caught on CCTV after suspected arson attack on tyre depot
Last updated at 13:14, Monday, 30 June 2014
Two people have been captured on camera apparently running from the scene of a suspected arson attack at a tyre depot.
Police say there is CCTV footage of two males running from the site of the fire at ATS Euromaster in Workington.
A police probe continues today into the blaze which broke out at the Annie Pit Lane unit on Saturday night.
It has also emerged that the fire – discovered by police – got close to the main ATS building.
Officers say it caused substantial damage to a large number of tyres at the site on the Clay Flatts industrial estate.
A Cumbria police spokeswoman said that the incident is being treated as arson after firefighters confirmed that the blaze was started by a small rubbish fire which spread to the ATS tyre compound.
She said: “CCTV has been checked and it appears to be showing that two males were running off.
“There has also been some damage to some training equipment at the site. The main damage is to a large amount of black rubber tyres.
“It has come very close to the building, within 15 yards. It could’ve been a lot worse.”
Firefighters were called to the scene at about 9.35pm where they used a ground monitor, compressed air foam system, one jet and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the blaze.
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service say the fire damage was to a large quantity of scrap tyres.
No-one from ATS was available for comment.
Anyone with information about Saturday’s incident – believed to have been started between 9pm and 9.35pm – should call Workington police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 09:34, Sunday, 29 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)