Armed police called to brawl on Carlisle street
Last updated at 16:37, Thursday, 14 August 2014
Armed police were deployed in the wake of a street brawl in Carlisle.
Officers were called to Bower Street, just off Newtown Road, after police received reports of two men fighting.
They fled the scene individually by car. One of them was spotted in a red Audi and the other in a blue Vauxhall Vectra.
A police spokeswoman said: “They drove to the Newtown Road area, where they collided with each other and subsequently collided with a parked Vauxhall Meriva.
"The Vectra stopped in Peel Road and the occupants fled the scene."
A 17-year-old youth, from Carlisle, later approached officers and was arrested on suspicion of affray. A 20-year-old man from the city was traced to the Raffles area and arrested.
Officers cordoned off Peel Street for about two hours as they launched an investigation into the incident, which happened just before 12.30pm today.
Police have appealed for information, especially sightings of the Audi.
Residents in the area were watching from their homes and gardens as six police vehicles occupied the Newtown Road end of Bower Street.
An eyewitness who was watching the police operation in Peel Street said: “All we heard was a big noise. Police jumped out of the car and abandoned it.”
Anyone who can help the inquiry should call police on 101.
First published at 13:36, Thursday, 14 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)