Armed police arrest four for suspected firearms offences
Last updated at 08:56, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
Four men arrested last night on suspicion of firearms offences were still in police custody this morning.
The force says they are helping with their enquiries after armed officers were deployed following reports of gunshots in Whitehaven.
Police, including armed response and a dog handler, were alerted after receiving a report at about 9pm that shots had been heard and a number of people were acting suspiciously in a Volvo car in the Harras Moor area.
The car was stopped at Mirehouse Road and the four - aged 26, 22, 22, 20 and all from the local area - were arrested.
A force statement last night said an investigation "is currently in progress" to establish what happened and whether any weapons were involved.
"Police are also looking into information received that fireworks may have actually been responsible for the loud bangs that were heard," it added.
No threats were made and there was no danger to the public, it said.
Officers have urged anyone in the Whitehaven area who has any information about the incident or who may have seen or heard anything suspicious, to call them on 101.
First published at 00:08, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)