Another city centre shop to close down in Carlisle
Last updated at 13:11, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
Another shop in Carlisle city centre is closing down.
Living Inspiration on English Street – near B&M Bargains – is the latest retailer to shut.
The shop sells bedding, home accessories and soft furnishings.
It is not yet known when exactly the shop will close or how many staff will lose their jobs.
It is on the market with chartered surveyors Carigiet Cowen.
The particulars of the lease say the building is a “spacious retail unit convenient for rail and bus routes in good city centre location”.
The rent is £35,000 per year.
This month Comet, Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster have joined the roll-call of failure.
Toys ‘R’ Us also closed its Carlisle branch in the St Nicholas Retail Park, off London Road. Independent clothes store Famous Names, under the Old Town Hall, closed last Thursday after 18 years in the city.
There are now a number of empty shop units in the city centre especially along a stretch of English Street.
They include the former Clarks shop and Alternative Christmas Shop on English Street.
The old Stan’s Kid’s Shoes shop on Warwick Road is available to let as well as a number of units in the Earls Lane Shopping Centre, next to the bus station, and some units in The Lanes Shopping Centre.
Since the 2008 credit crunch a series of High Street stores have folded or gone into administration, including JJB Sports, Peacocks, Julian Graves, Zavvi, La Senza, Game, Blacks Leisure and Clinton Cards.
The Carlisle branches of Clinton Cards, La Senza and Game remain open.
Colin Glover, deputy city council leader and economy and enterprise portfolio holder, said earlier this month that the council was willing to work with businesses to see if they could help in anyway.
First published at 11:50, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)