American diner brings 25 new jobs to Carlisle
Last updated at 11:51, Thursday, 19 June 2014
Carlisle is set for a dining boom with a Fifties US-style diner to open, creating 25 jobs, and plans for eateries in Hoopers.
Ed’s Easy Diner, which has 28 restaurants across the UK, is moving into the former Cafe M/toilets site in The Lanes, with the toilets moving upstairs.
And Hoopers has lodged plans to convert three units on the ground floor of the vacant building to serve food.
Chief executive of Ed’s Easy Diner, Andrew Guy, said the location was “ideal”.
He said the company hoped to hire locally and was working with the Springboard charity, which helps get young and disadvantaged people from the local community, into employment.
Lanes manager David Jackson said they were approached by the company after Cafe M which, together with part of the toilets’ site will form the new diner, went into administration this spring.
“They wanted to bring the diner to The Lanes but they needed more space [than just Cafe M], hence the decision to relocate the toilets,” he said.
“Contrary to some misconceptions, the toilets are not closing. They will move to take library [office] space.”
Mr Jackson said the diner was adamant it wanted the Cafe M/toilets site, and not any other vacant one in The Lanes.
News of the temporary closure of the toilets provoked an outcry earlier this month, with people posting on social networking sites that the move was a permanent one, which Mr Jackson described as “utter nonsense”.
“Most shopping centres who provide toilets look to locate them away from the main retail area – they are normally at the back of a unit or on another floor, never at the front,” he added. “If we built The Lanes today they would never be in the location they are. We are taking the opportunity to move them as part of remodelling”.
He said they were in discussions about firms taking three other units in The Lanes.
Hoopers closed last year due to “a lack of profitability”. Efforts to sell the three-storey building on the open marked failed and it is standing empty.
A decision on the application will not be made until after July 11. The application has been out for public consultation since June 9.
First published at 11:10, Thursday, 19 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
The toilets are paid by the shops in the lanes not the council and they are so many empty shops in the lanes already because of greedy business men charging southern rent prices. Nice to see something new come to the city.
Annoyed the lanes is a privately owned shopping centre so taxpayers money and the council is nothing to so with this. They can do what they want and must foot the bill for it. What it will do is bring more rates for the council.
View all 45 comments on this article