'Ambush' attack woman deserved jail term, says Appeal Court
Last updated at 13:08, Thursday, 20 February 2014
A care worker who lured her ex-boyfriend to an “ambush” where he was attacked by a gang and his ear savaged richly deserved to be put behind bars, top judges have ruled.
Louise Fletcher, of Buttermere Road, Maryport, stood by while new boyfriend Karl Kirkbride and others waded into her former partner, Jonathan Bridgewood, who was repeatedly kicked and punched.
Kirkbride, 21, bit Mr Bridgewood’s left ear during the planned attack, the Appeal Court in London heard yesterday, after which Fletcher kicked out at the victim and scratched his neck with her finger nails.
Mr Bridgewood tried to run but tripped up and the attack continued, said Judge David Griffith-Jones.
He was “brutally beaten up” after the drunken Fletcher asked him to meet her outside Maryport’s Victoria Cottage Hospital in January last year.
The pair had previously been in a relationship but split up in October 2012, said the judge.
However, they had been in contact since they broke up, exchanging “amicable” texts.
As a result, Mr Bridgewood had no inkling he would be on the receiving end of a pack attack.
Fletcher, now 18, was jailed for 18 months at Carlisle Crown Court in December after she was convicted of assault causing actual bodily harm.
Her case reached the Appeal Court as her lawyers challenged her “excessive” sentence.
But Judge Griffith-Jones, sitting with two other judges, said the sentence was“ ”not manifestly excessive but entirely appropriate for all the circumstances”.
Kirkbride, of Princess Drive, Maryport, was jailed for 21 months for his part in the attack.
First published at 13:06, Thursday, 20 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)