Allerdale council urged to agree car park charges freeze in Workington
Last updated at 13:18, Friday, 15 February 2013
A freeze in council car parking charges has been announced.
Allerdale council’s executive agreed to freeze the charges for the first time in four years at a meeting earlier this week.
Pay and display car parks which will not see their prices rise from April in Workington include Brow Top, Central, Elizabeth Street, Horse Close, Ladies Walk and Udale Street.
The pledge from council leader Alan Smith move comes amid growing concern that Workington town centre traders are losing out on business as shoppers go elsewhere.
Mr Smith said: “Our car parks do make revenue for the council, but due to the economic climate it was almost a false economy to keep raising the charges for motorists.
“We need to protect all our town centres and independent traders.
“If there’s one way we can do this, it’s by making it more attractive for people to come into the town centres and spend locally.”
The recommendation has to be ratified by the full Allerdale council next month but Coun Smith said he was confident it would be approved.
Dave Fletcher, development manager of Workington’s Washington Square complex, said: “It’s a great idea and shows the council is thinking about the bigger picture. It’s the right thing to do and hopefully will make a difference.”
First published at 13:15, Friday, 15 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)