X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 31 August 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Accused Carlisle taxi driver denies sex assault

A taxi driver accused of carrying out a sex attack on a woman passenger told police she was a willing partner to what happened after he agreed to pay her £20.

Dariusz Kowalczyk photo
Dariusz Kowalczyk

Dariusz Kowalczyk, 48, has denied behaving in a “sexually predatory way” and launching a serious assault on the woman after parking up in a secluded part of Carlisle.

The defendant, of Esther Street on the city’s Currock estate, denies orally raping the woman after she hailed his cab outside a city nightspot in March last year. As the prosecution got underway at the city’s crown court yesterday, the jury heard a transcript of his interview with detectives.

“It wasn’t rape,” was one of his first comments.

He claimed that after the woman got into his taxi in the early hours she talked about sex, and kept touching him.

“She fancied me – something like that,” he said.

He claimed that she wanted sex, and asked him to go back with her to her home but he refused.

Questioned further by the officers, Kowalczyk said he had decided to park up on a secluded street in Carlisle but she then asked him for money.

“I said £10 and she said £20,” he told the officers, saying he eventually agreed to £20. He said: “I didn’t force her.”

Kowalczyk went on to tell the officers that he had met the woman on a previous occasion, when she offered him “services” for £10.

After the sexual encounter on the night of the alleged attack, he said, he dropped her off outside another pub and she fell over the kerb as she got out of the taxi.

Prosecutor Timothy Brennand said the woman, in her early twenties, had been out in the city centre and had become separated from friends so took the taxi, asking to be taken to the north of the city. She told police she was taken by Kowalczyk to a “dark and secluded area” where she was attacked.

The trial continues.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Will you be buying tickets for this year's Sands panto?

Absolutely - it's a great festive tradition and a great show

No - I'm not really into pantomimes

Depends - I'll wait and see nearer the time

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: