A66 road to be closed while destroyed crane removed
Last updated at 19:30, Monday, 29 July 2013
The A66 will be closed to heavy goods vehicles tonight to allow a burned out mobile crane to be removed from the road.
The crane caught fire at Brougham, near Penrith, yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, causing major delays along the route.
The A66 at Scotch Corner will be closed to westbound HGV and high-sided traffic at 7pm. Vehicles will be advised to use the A1 and then the A69 to enter Cumbria.
Then at 8pm, the A66 westbound at Brougham will be closed to all traffic.
Smaller vehicles will be diverted down the A685 while local traffic approaching Brougham will be diverted along the B6262.
A Cumbria police spokesman said: “The road closure will be in place to arrange recovery of the crane and repair of the road.
“At the same time one lane of the A66 eastbound at Brougham will be closed to create a safe working environment.”
The A66 is expected to fully re-open by 6am tomorrow.
The fire temporarily closed the busy road in both directions between the A686 Brough junction and the A6 at Penrith.
At the time, large plumes of smoke were clearly visible from the scene and two loud bangs were heard.
Police redirected traffic in both directions and HGV drivers were advised to avoid the A66 altogether and use the A69 as an alternative cross country route.
Fire on the A66 at Penrith. pic.twitter.com/ubDvT7wwdN— Lloyd (@lloydyp) July 28, 2013
First published at 12:37, Sunday, 28 July 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (18 comments)
- Cumbria police must have redesign to survive (12 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (21 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (46 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (7 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (23 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (15 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|