Work set to start on controversial castle crossing in Carlisle

SHARE THIS STORY
Artist's impression of the proposed new crossing on Castle Way, linking Carlisle Castle and Castle Street.
Artist's impression of the proposed new crossing on Castle Way, linking Carlisle Castle and Castle Street.

Work will start today on a new pedestrian crossing that is hoped will play a key role in linking Carlisle's castle to the city centre.

The plan for Castle Way has proved controversial, with arguments raised about potential delays.

But experts say any hold-ups to motorists will be minimal - and the work to put it in place is taking place between 7pm and 7am.

The new overground link will connect the heart of the city centre and attractions including Tullie House Museum with the existing castle keep, which dates back to between 1122 and 1135.

It is going ahead after plans were approved by Carlisle City Council, despite a petition against the development attracting 1,300 signatures.

Organisers of this said that the crossing would cause congestion on the road - and that the route is already a source of "misery on a daily basis for commuters".

They also pointed to the fact that there are already three existing crossings on that particular stretch.

But Joanna Coleman, Labour councillor for Castle ward, said that the new crossing will play a vital role in connecting the city.

"It'll be well used by people with disabilities and cyclists," she told the News & Star.

"It'll bring together two different areas - the castle and the city centre and will make it easier for people to get between the two.

"Hopefully it'll also encourage more people to visit the castle as well."

The Highways Authority said that, once completed, drivers would face a delay on average of 10 seconds and a maximum of 27 seconds.

The overall work also involves building a raised speed bump on neighbouring Finkle Street and Annetwell Street - and repaving a section of Castle Way to match stones previously laid in Caldewgate.

The scheme is being funded by supermarket giant Sainsbury's as part of an agreement which allowed them to build their Caldewgate store.

A spokesman for Cumbria County Council, which will resurface the road, spoke about the arrangements.

He said: "On the A595 Castle Way, the work will be carried out under lane closures and with a contraflow system in place.

"Due to the contraflow system it will be necessary to close some of the junctions adjoining Castle Way.

"The closures will only apply at night."

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Nobby   Knowitall , Carlisle Friday, 24 March, 2017 at 12:09PM
There really should be a public enquiry as to how this has got passed when nobody really wants it apart from some councillors who probably have a vested interest. After the enquiry, heads should roll!!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Arnold   Doylem , Carlisle Thursday, 23 March, 2017 at 3:01PM
Nothing will ever get better while we have this particular "Strain" of Councillors filling their empty days with bird brain ideas. No use complaining, they never listen to the majority Scurf anyways.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
city resident   , Carlisle Monday, 20 March, 2017 at 12:16PM
I hope in due course someone will produce statistics relating to the numbers of visitors to the Castle, then we shall know whether it has been a worthwile addition to traffic holdups in the city.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Mark   Ogilvie , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 7:51PM
Why oh why does council insist on these follies why do they insist on spending many tens of thousands of pounds on a scheme the majority do not want Could this money not have been put towards trying to get the sheepmount up and running again or better still put towards flood prevention measures for caldewgate Carrs is now almost protected by the flood measures they have put in place And Sainsbury's have applied for permission to put flood defences in place But the rest of caldewgate will be at the mercy of Mother Nature Who has not been very kind of late and is helped along by the flood defences put in place to help the rest of the city at caldewgate's cost We already have several ways to access the castle and I cannot see how an overground crossing is going to help Also why are English heritage not being approached for a contribution towards the cost after all it is to help people have access to the castle which is owned by them
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Andrew   Mack , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 7:37PM
Neither wanted or needed, Looking a the "impression" above it would mean troops marching to and from the castle would have to trample the grass to use the crossing. 27 seconds delay max, how did they arrive at that figure preset times are usually 20-30 seconds(single carriageway) With it being a single crossing (4 lanes with a refuge but not staggered!) the two sets of lights would need to be controlled independantly but with it not being staggered there is the risk of a pedestrian trying to cross the full width in one go, Also with it being a Puffin crossing (no new pelicans post 2016) there is no flashing amber phase. and then is the backlog of traffic to get moving again.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Barry   Jandera , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 5:14PM
Its already linked .. via an underground pass and a bridge, worst idea ever thought up to waste money on a main road through Carlisle.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Mike   Robbins , CUMBRIA Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 4:44PM
I seem to recall an earlier zebra crossing in almost the same location being removed, some years back, due to traffic congestion and the delays it caused. With even more traffic on our roads I suspect this 'new' pedestrian crossing will cause even more problems!!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Karen   Quinn , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 4:20PM
What about the millanium bridge that was built that was gonna be the best thing ever how much did that cost us now we have to have this there is also the subway what is wrong with that ,total waste of money .
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
  , Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 3:47PM
Stupidest idea yet from this crackpot council
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
stuart   black , carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 3:00PM
Worked in the area for 40 years, and of all the stupid decisions about the millennium bridge, and the historic quarter "waste of money" this is right up there with those, , but we will see if indeed its a good idea, 10 to 24 second delays we have been promised, 2 points I wish to raise , will the people who live and work in Finkle street experience any more vehicle emissions? because this is where a constant build up of traffic will , be, point 2, if the delays exceed what has been promised and the traffic build up affects the exit of West tower street will you take out the crossing ?
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Darren   Robinson , Brampton Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 12:39PM
The crossing that nobody wants, paid for by Sainsbury's bribe. It's a bad idea.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
concerned   , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 11:26AM
I hope we never see an accident here but I fear it will happen. This is an unwanted crossing pushed through by the whim of a councillor. Why do they all thionk they need a legacy. When there is some money floating about time after time it gets thrown away on wasteful project's, the pyramids which turned into the rotunda, the bridge in front of the castle, the underpass, the lifts that are locked and never work. Why not listen to the people. Sainsbury put up money for improvements in the area, traffic lights that cause delays (thank heavens for the by-pass or what would the back-log be like), re-working Paddy's market car park that stands empty most of the time. Surely there is better use of this money the area hasn't overcome the flood damage yet but apparently this crossing will change the area. This project is the wrong thing and a waste of money when time are hard, a good legacy!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Dilbert   Allioli , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 11:03AM
I believe the Highways Authority are to star in LA LA LAND 2.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Ken   Stokes , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 10:57AM
Brilliant news that a pedestrian crossing is finally being constructed near the castle- motorists have had their way for far too long- here's to pedestrian power. Now how about providing decent cylce ways - as a cyclist I take my life in my hand every time I cycle in Carlisle. What ever happened to John Prescott's big idea of reducing road traffic by 20 per cent? How about making Carlisle city centre completely vehicle free one weekend in every month as they do in Bristol- give us all a break.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
chris   bray , carlisle Saturday, 18 March, 2017 at 9:28PM
You are by far the minority take a look
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Alison   McNeil , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 10:32AM
Utter madness. Although it would cost millions the right thing to do would be to put the road through a tunnel and get rid of the current subway which should never have been built in the first place. The area could then be grassed over and used as a small part plus market stalls. And as for the useless bridge...
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
chris   bray , Carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 10:05AM
Never ever have your say again as you will be thrown aside as the 90% of objectors this pathetic crossing gets the go ahead against the professional drivers of Carlisle and the general public. Your opinion matters not. This project was decided prior to any consultation and you can thank Elsie Martlew for this and think to yourself why Labour will not win an election for the for the foreseeable future as they are totally disconnected with the real people.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
buddy   buds , carlisle Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 10:01AM
Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Craig   Lamont , Longtown Monday, 13 March, 2017 at 8:00AM
Meanwhile, in all other parts of rural Cumbria, an ever-increasing number of potholes continue to damage car suspensions and wheels. Wouldn't repairing Carlisle and the surrounding areas roads PROPERLY be a more worthwhile 'Legacy" for our beloved council leaders?
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Read this..