Warwick Road campaigners asked to leave meeting after raising concerns over new lane

SHARE THIS STORY
Residents Joy Graham, left and Charlotte Deane
Residents Joy Graham, left and Charlotte Deane

Campaigners interrupted a council meeting in a bid to raise their concerns over the potential creation of a new lane on a key Carlisle road.

Three residents on the stretch of Warwick Road where the extra lane is planned - from the Rosehill Industrial Estate to Eastern Way - tried to voice their concerns at a meeting of Cumbria County Council's local committee for Carlisle yesterday, but were asked to leave.

A discussion on the extra lane was not on the agenda for the meeting, but the group said they wanted to make their feelings known and said they believed councillors were going to discuss the plans in private.

A petition opposing the proposals has gained more than 2,000 signatures.

"We've had one meeting with the council," Joy Graham, one of the residents who attended the committee meeting, told the News & Star.

"We're hoping to have another meeting but there isn't anything planned yet.

"We were led to believe they were having a private meeting. We just want them to know how we feel about it and hope they will listen to what the people want."

She continued: "We want to thank everyone for the support they've given us so far.

"People who are from Carlisle but no longer live here have signed the petition because they know that the plans won't work. John Stevenson [Carlisle's MP] has also signed our petition and fully supports us.

"The council won't get a return on the £1m that it's going to cost."

Charlotte Deane, who also attended the meeting, added: "It doesn't feel like we're being listened to, to be honest.

"Even though we were asked to leave, I'd like to think that the councillors who were there saw how unhappy we are about it."

A spokesman for Cumbria County Council said: “The council received around 70 responses to the consultation that closed last week.

"We are now reviewing that feedback and intend to provide responses to any commonly raised questions via our website as soon as possible.

"We will be discussing the consultation feedback with Carlisle City Council and anticipate being able to provide an update on the next steps for the proposal in the coming weeks.”

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
tap   loader , carlisle Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 at 11:53AM
Answering questions face to face would be the courteous thing to do,so easy to hide behind an electronic screen when fobbing off the public.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Bern   Windhow , Carlisle Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 at 12:10PM
Much like the ill fated castleway crossing I think the main issue here is that the council need to advertise their consultation process better. They have little return on consultations on matters that affect people locally. That's probably the way they like it though. So they can pass their ill advised plans discreetly.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Lynette   Barnes , Carlisle Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 at 11:40AM
I take my hat off to you both. Well done for doing this. What are Cumbria County Council thinking of. It makes absolutely no sense to me. If the council get their own way on this proposal there will be uproar in this city. I and lots of others support you 100%. Good luck with your campaign.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
ted   email , Carlisle Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 at 10:06AM
Why is there a central lane running along the route with diagonal lines across it, in which traffic is not allowed to enter? Could this lane not be "opened up" and allow two-way "peak hour" access ???? It would save wasting a lot of our money - and disrupting residents and road-users lives - and also save destroying a wonderful environment (i.e. the trees)
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
mark   allinson , Carlisle Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 at 12:00AM
The reason why they were asked to leave does not surprise me me because I think the council will still go ahead with the plans they never listen how many people were against the crossing at Carlisle castle but the council still went ahead with it when nobody wanted a crossing there because there was already a subway underneath and the bridge aswel for people to cross
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Kevin   Stuart , Carlisle Monday, 17 July, 2017 at 6:25PM
Waste of time protesting with our council. They do what they want. Public opinion doesnt matter to them. Just wait until the next election and vote them out.
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Resident   Of Carlisle , Carlisle Monday, 17 July, 2017 at 5:38PM
The Council are chosen by the people to run the city, therefore the Council need to listen! It seems decisions are made, money is spent and things go ahead regardless of the feelings of its residents. There must be many other things this huge amount of money can be spent on for the benefit of Carlisle. Just look at Botchergate, along London road to where the new Council building is, is a shocking mess, yet there right in the middle is a brand new shiny Council building, odd that!!!....Enough wasted time and money, listen for a change and put the spending into making the City better.Clean up the mess not make more mess!
Reply
Reply to this comment

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Read this..