80 jobs lost after Cumbria highways revamp
Last updated at 10:36, Saturday, 13 April 2013
Eighty jobs have been lost as part of a restructuring of the county’s highways department.
Workers at six administration areas – including four in north and west Cumbria – were yesterday given details of the new staffing structure and how it will affect them. It is expected to be finalised and in place by the summer.
Before the restructuring there were 527 people employed in the highways and transport department of Cumbria County Council.
That figure has been reduced to 447 – leading to a loss of 80 posts.
About 400 workers took part in a 90-day consultation, and the council said it is now considering various applications for voluntary redundancy.
However, there will inevitably be compulsory redundancies but the council is optimistic these “will be minimal”.
The administration areas are currently based at Kingmoor Park in Carlisle, Lillyhall depot in Workington, Richmond House at Whitehaven, Skirsgill in Penrith, the county offices in Kendal and Nan Tait Centre in Barrow.
Three of these are expected to close down.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria County Council said: “The restructure of the county council’s highways and transport team is a process which began last year.
“It has involved continuous consultation with both staff and unions, and also the public via the budget consultation which detailed the savings that would be made through the restructure and which were agreed by full council in February.”
She continued: “The restructure was always going to be necessary following the transferal of Amey and Capita staff back into the county council, as there was some duplication of roles – mainly in ‘back office’ administration.
“The emphasis has always been to maintain frontline delivery and local responsiveness while providing the most efficient and effective back office support.”
The spokeswoman said that while the announcement was made to staff yesterday, the true impact would not be known for several months.
“We anticipate that any compulsory redundancies will be minimal,” she said.
First published at 10:35, Saturday, 13 April 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)