74-house estate at Wigton given outline planning consent
Last updated at 16:19, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
A 74-home housing development has been given the green light.
Allerdale council’s development panel gave North Homes Limited outline planning permission for the development on a 3.07-hectare site next to King Street, Wigton.
Twelve letters of objection had been sent to the council, raising concerns that the planned homes would be over development, devalue existing properties and create safety problems because of substandard access.
Objectors also feared views would be lost, wildlife harmed and nearby properties affected by building work noise.
But councillors heard that the development, which would include 15 affordable homes, had prompted no objections from Cumbria Highways and there had been no response from Cumbria Wildlife Trust.
Wigton town council had raised concerns about flooding but councillors heard that the developer had amended its plans to avoid building on two designated flood zones.
A report to councillors recommended that the developer should contribute nearly £80,000 towards improving the footways to Nelson Thomlinson School and the station, introducing flashing 20mph signs by the site, improving the roundabout by Lidl and carrying out work on nearby roads.
Binky Armstrong said he would rather the affordable homes all had two bedrooms instead of being a mix of two and three-bedroom houses.
Bill Finlay was worried about the lack of a crossing on West Street, given that children would have to cross the road to get to school.
Councillors unanimously agreed to provide outline planning permission, subject to 23 conditions, including a need for a West Street crossing.
First published at 16:15, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (20 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)