£1m boost for west Cumbria's economy
Last updated at 15:58, Thursday, 12 June 2014
West Cumbria’s economy is set for a £1 million boost this year thanks to a funding pot from the nuclear industry.
Britain’s Energy Coast has agreed to give up to £500,000 each to Allerdale and Copeland councils.
The money must be spent on projects to help boost business.
Projects it supports must complement the West Cumbria Economic Blueprint, which aims to help business by optimising nuclear investment, promoting diversification and making west Cumbria an attractive place to invest.
The blueprint was drawn up by Britain’s Energy Coast, the nuclear industry, Allerdale, Copeland and Cumbria councils, Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership and businesses.
Its aims fit with Allerdale council’s priorities to reduce poverty, boost economic development and town centres and enhance sports, arts and leisure.
Kevin Kerrigan, head of development services at the council, said: “It is considered that the social investment fund provides an opportunity for the council to respond in a flexible manner to support employment and economic growth in Allerdale and to respond quickly to opportunities for, or threats to, local employees or encourage investment in Allerdale.”
It is expected that money from the fund will be given as grants but there may be opportunities for it to be used to provide loans, invest in equity or buy property.
The council’s executive committee agreed that corporate director Paul Shackley should be responsible for allocating the money.
First published at 15:54, Thursday, 12 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)