11 rescued from snowy Cumbrian pass as roads are closed
Last updated at 14:48, Saturday, 01 February 2014
Eleven people were rescued from cars trapped in snow on Kirkstone Pass as winter storms struck.
Three people were hurt following a two vehicle road traffic collision.
Kirkstone Pass was closed yesterday due to snow.
Police have advised that the road will remain closed for the rest of today and will be assessed again tomorrow.
Langdale and Ambleside and Patterdale mountain rescue teams were called to help the North West Ambulance Service after the ambulance sent to the crash became stuck in snow.
A spokesman for Langdale and Ambleside said: “One person was evacuated with back injuries and there were two walking wounded.
“Approximately eight other people were evacuated from the road because it was blocked by the snow and crashed vehicles.
“It would be fair to say that the road was not in any condition to be used before the collision occurred.”
A yellow warning for high winds for Cumbria from the Met Office remains in place today. Heavy rain is due later today, tailing off tomorrow, but no more snow is imminent.
Police have also confirmed the A5087 between Rampside and Newbiggin is closed due to high sea levels and debris being washed onto road.
And Hardknott and Wrynose Passes are considered closed due to icy road conditions.
The B5300 at Dubmill Point Allonby is also closed due to the high tide and strong winds diversions are in place.
First published at 07:22, Saturday, 01 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)