Fine win in windy conditions for Gillford
Last updated at 12:46, Monday, 27 February 2012
Ryton 1 Gillford 3: With Gillford defending against a gale force wind in their faces from kick-off Ryton forced the early pressure.
Gillford keeper Smith tipped an early Eccles free-kick for a corner before Gillford responder with a Reed header that was turned over the bar.
In the 40th minute Ryton should have taken the lead when Thompson, six yards out in front of an open goal, somehow managed to hit the bar.
Gillford punished the error by going in front shortly after, when Marc Shiel found Marc Butler and his cross into the area deceived the Ryton keeper. The ball flew over his head and in.
Gillford went 2-0 up on 47 minutes when Graham Anthony curled in an 18-yarder. It was 3-0 when Lee Hoolickin hit an unstoppable 35-yard drive into the top corner.
Ryton pulled a goal back on 79 minutes when Atkinson headed home from six yards.
Gillford: Smith, Butler, Hoolickin, Taylor (Wallace), Robertson, Lynn, Anthony (Wilson), Skinner, Reed (Errington), Shiel, Douglas. Subs unused: Milburn, Lea
First published at 11:27, Monday, 27 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Tributes to Carlisle woman who died days after her 26th birthday (18 comments)
- Shop to close after 30 years in Carlisle city centre
- Google erases link to News & Star article under ‘right to be forgotten’ (28 comments)
- North Cumbrian brewery goes into administration
- Two suffer 'serious' injuries in A66 crash