West Cumbrian soccer teen picked for GB trip
Published at 11:30, Thursday, 07 June 2012
A Carlisle United prospect has been selected to represent Great Britain Catholic Schools in an international tournament in Malta next month.
Danny Hodgson, a pupil at St Benedict’s School, in Whitehaven, plays for United’s Under-16s and was selected for the 17-strong squad for the International Catholic Students Summer Games following trials in Leeds.
The 16-year-old striker, from Bigrigg, will face the likes of Italy, Spain, France and Holland in the event.
Lisa Powe, the school’s head of PE, said “This is a fantastic opportunity for Danny to compete at national level and experience playing football in a new environment.
“Danny is a very talented and highly-rated footballer and the school are very proud of his achievements.
“The school wishes Danny every success in Malta and in his future football career.
“We have supported Danny with some funding but Danny’s family have also carried out fund-raising events to support him.
“Danny’s parents would like to thank family and friends and everyone who donated money, sponsored Danny’s run around Ennerdale Lake, all the local shops in Egremont and Cleator Moor who donated raffle prizes and people who bought raffle tickets.”
They also thanked Egremont Town Council, O’Connor Fencing Ltd and Cumbria Active Talent Fund for their donations.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (19 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (32 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator
- Endangered species warning at Cumbria milk price crisis talks (1 comment)
- Two weeks to act over Cumbrian parking permits charge (2 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (101 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (74 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (63 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (49 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (52 comments)