X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 30 August 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

CCTV photo of Carlisle kidnapper who made man perform sex acts

This is pervert fairground worker Christopher Higgins as he stalked a young man whom he kidnapped and twice forced to perform a sex act in bushes.

Christopher Higgins photo
Christopher Higgins

The 24-year-old, who is now facing a jail sentence, followed his victim through Stanwix in Carlisle by bike, before threatening to stab him if he did not do what he told him.

Images given to The Cumberland News capture Higgins as the man he sets out to prey on walks past the top of Scotland Road.

Detectives have described the crime as “a straightforward predatory attack” and paid tribute to the courage of the victim in standing up in court at Higgins’ trial.

The victim, who was on his way to work, reported what had happened to his boss, prompting Higgins’ later arrest at a funfair in the north east of England.

Higgins, of Oaklands Drive, Currock, Carlisle, was found guilty of four charges at the city’s crown court this week.

A jury took just under seven hours to decide by 11 to one that he was guilty of kidnap, kidnap with intent to commit a sexual offence and a charge of causing a person to engage in sex without consent. The jury also decided by 10 to two that he was guilty of another count of this last charge.

Detective Constable Mark Singleton, speaking afterwards, said: “This incident was a straightforward predatory attack on a vulnerable young man as he walked to work one night last July.

“The victim has been particularly brave.

“Higgins continually denied involvement in the offence and then cynically attempted to discredit the victim, whose life continues to be affected by the attack.”

At court, Andrew Ford, prosecuting, said Higgins had a previous record of crimes and had been cleared 10 years ago of a similar allegation.

He said his record included possession of an offensive weapon, using threatening or insulting words or behaviour, affray, battery, theft and criminal damage.

The judge, Recorder Peter Davies, warned Higgins he had been “convicted of extremely grave offences”.

“It is inevitable that a custodial sentence will be passed,” he added. The case was adjourned so that a pre-sentence report could be prepared.

Greg Hoare, defending, said they were “plainly serious matters”.

The trial heard that Higgins followed the young man on his bike last July before forcing him into bushes on York Road and making him perform a sex act.

Higgins then made his victim do the same thing again further down the street near Clarks Field.

At one point, the court heard, he had asked his victim if he “wanted to do this the easy way or the hard way”.No evidence of a knife was shown to the victim but he did what Higgins demanded, saying he was too scared to run away.

Higgins had denied all the charges. He was remanded in custody ahead of sentencing next month.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Will you be buying tickets for this year's Sands panto?

Absolutely - it's a great festive tradition and a great show

No - I'm not really into pantomimes

Depends - I'll wait and see nearer the time

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: