Reggie Lambe and Tom Parkes hand Carlisle United victory at Cambridge


Cambridge United 1 Carlisle United 2: Carlisle United claimed their first win of the League Two season at the second attempt after first-half goals from Reggie Lambe and Tom Parkes at Cambridge.

Winger Lambe shot the Blues into an early lead before Medy Elito equalised with a penalty.

But summer signing Parkes then scored late in the first half and United held on for their first win against the home side in 20 years.

Ex-Blues favourite Jabo Ibehre was denied by a superb Jack Bonham save in the second half as Shaun Derry's side failed to find a way back, in front of a 4,102 crowd that included 364 travelling Blues fans.

Bermudan winger Lambe struck in the seventh minute when the ball was laid into his path after good work from Hallam Hope.

It capped good early pressure from Keith Curle's side which saw Richie Bennett miss a great chance to open his Blues account.

The big striker held off Leon Legge but then shot wide of the left-hand post.

Lambe then found the net, but the hosts levelled on 13 minutes when keeper Bonham spilled a cross and Gary Liddle then fouled Elito.

Elito sent United's No1 the wrong way from the spot.

In a game often defined by the target-man play of Bennett and Cambridge's Uche Ikpeazu and ex-Blues man Ibehre, more chances followed.

Bennett headed straight at David Forde from a decent position while the striker then set up Hope for a low attempt the keeper saved.

Ibehre - given a warm reception by the travelling fans - then shot narrowly wide against his former club, before having a looping header cleared by Liddle in front of the line.

United then went close as Parkes' volley struck Bennett and was heading for the bottom corner until Forde readjusted to tip it wide.

From the resulting corner, though, former Leyton Orient man Parkes did find the net after Tom Miller had climbed to meet Nicky Adams' inswinger.

After the break Bennett shot over while Luke Berry went close for the hosts.

United were often on the defensive here with Liddle and Mark Ellis making good blocks as Ikpeazu caused problems with his strength and pace.

With seven minutes remaining Ibehre attacked a Leon Davies cross and saw his header come back off the bar via Bonham's fingertips.

Miller then made a fine late clearance while United survived six minutes of injury-time to hold on for the points.

Hope, Miller and Adams took the places of Shaun Miller, Mike Jones and Jamie Devitt in the starting line-up.

Sub keeper Shamal George returned to the squad after spending the week at an England training camp.

Cambridge: Forde, Carroll, Taylor, Legge, Davies (Azeez 85), O'Neil (Mingoia 66), Deegan, Elito (Dunk 66), Berry, Ibehre, Ikpeazu. Not used: Mitov, Osadebe, Brown, Howkins

Carlisle: Bonham, T Miller, Grainger, Ellis, Parkes, Liddle, Joyce, Adams (Jones 81), Lambe, Bennett (Cosgrove 73), Hope (Devitt 86). Not used: George, S Miller, Holt, Egan.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Read this..