Year before we know if Paddy Madden decision was 'wrong', says Carlisle Utd boss
Last updated at 11:47, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Greg Abbott insists it will take “12 months” before people can judge the wisdom of Carlisle United’s decision to sell Paddy Madden.
The striker, who joined Yeovil, is now the third top scorer in League One with 12 goals.
His remarkable success for the Glovers has led to claims from some Blues fans that Abbott failed to get the best out of the Irishman.
But Abbott insisted the move was the best for all parties and maintained it was too early to say that United were wrong to let him go.
“Paddy got his games, scored a few goals and he wanted to go to Yeovil,” the United boss said.
“When a player wants to do something, you have to look at the scenarios, and we thought it best for everybody that Paddy went. He got his wish, and in 12 months’ time we will find out whether it’s been a good move or not.”
Madden only trails former Coventry loanee David McGoldrick and Brentford’s Clayton Donaldson in the division’s scoring chart. He is level on 12 league goals with new Coventry man Leon Clarke, after scoring just twice for Carlisle in 35 appearances.
Abbott, meanwhile, says that some of the proceeds from Madden’s undisclosed fee were used to sign defender Sean O’Hanlon, while he played down the need to replace the Dubliner and Joe Garner, the loan striker who snubbed Carlisle for Preston.
“We have got Cads [Danny Cadamarteri] and Rory Loy back, and we want to see the best of them,” he said. “If we keep them fit we are ok there.”
Asked if he had sought any assurances on whether he will be able to spend the Madden proceeds, Abbott added: “It just goes into a pot of money for us to play around with.
“It has to fit into an equation. Part of it was spent on bringing Sean in.”
First published at 11:31, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Thousands are left spellbound at Carlisle Fireshow (26 comments)
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- "Dangerous" police cuts debate: how your MPs voted (24 comments)