We can beat league leaders Tranmere, says Carlisle Utd boss
Last updated at 12:06, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Greg Abbott today insisted Carlisle United will be ready to attack any complacency shown by Tranmere when the Blues bid to upset League One’s leaders.
United’s manager says the Cumbrians will be ready if Ronnie Moore’s side let their guard drop this weekend.
Tranmere are leading the division on goal difference despite a similar budget to the cash-strapped Blues. Abbott has described the Wirral outfit as the success story of the campaign. But he says Moore’s side are not infallible.
“I don’t think it will be any tougher at Tranmere than it was for us against Scunthorpe last Saturday,” Abbott said.
“Tranmere, for me, are the team of the season, but sometimes lethargy can filter in and you can take lightly teams you think we should be beating.
“It’s a really good game for us because people might think we are just going to get beat.
“But we have got some decent players and 10 points out of the last six games is a really good run of form.”
Abbott has received a boost with the return to training of defenders Mike Edwards and Peter Murphy.
Both centre-halves have made good progress after their hamstring and calf injuries and could now compete for a place in the squad for the Prenton Park trip.
Chris Chantler continues to be a concern and the left-back is having further treatment on the ankle ligament sprain which kept him out of the 1-1 draw with the Iron.
Matty Robson is again on standby to continue at left-back, though Murphy’s return could give Abbott another option in the position.
Tranmere will be without captain James Wallace, who has a knee problem, while boss Moore will today check on Adam McGurk and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.
First published at 12:02, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (48 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (22 comments)
- Soaring temperatures before thunder and rain hit Cumbria (9 comments)
- New £1.9m plan to reduce traffic on west Cumbria's roads (7 comments)
- Sorry, Carlisle United - but Knighton was right (2 comments)