Taiwo and Michalik quit Carlisle Utd - but three to stay
Published at 14:20, Monday, 11 June 2012
Popular midfielder Tom Taiwo today dramatically quit Carlisle United along with Lubo Michalik - but the Blues' other out-of-contract players are set to stay.
Manager Greg Abbott revealed today that Taiwo had rejected a new deal at Brunton Park.
He now leaves Brunton Park along with Slovakian international defender Michalik, who has also turned down United's contract offer.
But Abbott disclosed better news when he said James Berrett, Frank Simek and Peter Murphy were all on the brink of signing new contracts.
The trio have agreed their deals in principle and United hope to announce the completion of the deals in the coming days.
The United manager said Taiwo's decision was made for family reasons as the tough-tackling player, who recently became a father, wanted to find a club closer to his native Yorkshire.
Carlisle will be entitled to compensation when he finds a new club due to his age, 22.
Abbott said he had met Taiwo face to face on several occasions in recent weeks but now had reluctantly to accept his decision.
The Blues manager added that Michalik - a target for Hibs and Preston - had informed him of his intentions to leave shortly after the end of the 2011/12 season.
But the United boss was delighted to report that influential midfielder Berrett, who has scored 10 goals in each of the last two seasons, was set to commit his future to the Blues.
Long-serving Murphy will prolong his stay into an eleventh year when he completed his new deal, while American right-back Simek is ready to sign up for a third season with the Cumbrians.
*See www.newsandstar.co.uk at 3pm for more breaking news from United.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (47 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (55 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (44 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)