Stevenage defeat leaves play-off door open for Carlisle Utd
Last updated at 11:40, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Stevenage finally faltered in their attempt to nail down sixth place in League One – handing a big opportunity to Carlisle United.
The Hertfordshire club would have gone five points clear of the seventh-placed Blues had they won at Notts County last night.
But a last-minute strike from the Magpies’ Jeff Hughes saw Gary Smith’s side suffer only their second defeat in 17 League One games.
The 1-0 loss at Meadow Lane, in Keith Curle’s first game in charge of County, means United have a big chance to overtake Stevenage and enter the play-off places this weekend.
Carlisle host 18th-placed Yeovil while Stevenage go to leaders Charlton and the Cumbrians will go sixth if they win and Stevenage lose.
Yeovil, meanwhile, have bolstered their squad ahead of the trip to Brunton Park by landing two players on loan from Middlesbrough.
Defender Jonathan Grounds and attacking midfielder Jonathan Franks have both joined for a month. “We need the reinforcements,” said manager Gary Johnson.
First published at 11:26, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Thousands are left spellbound at Carlisle Fireshow (26 comments)
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- "Dangerous" police cuts debate: how your MPs voted (24 comments)