Stevenage defeat leaves play-off door open for Carlisle Utd
Last updated at 11:40, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Stevenage finally faltered in their attempt to nail down sixth place in League One – handing a big opportunity to Carlisle United.
The Hertfordshire club would have gone five points clear of the seventh-placed Blues had they won at Notts County last night.
But a last-minute strike from the Magpies’ Jeff Hughes saw Gary Smith’s side suffer only their second defeat in 17 League One games.
The 1-0 loss at Meadow Lane, in Keith Curle’s first game in charge of County, means United have a big chance to overtake Stevenage and enter the play-off places this weekend.
Carlisle host 18th-placed Yeovil while Stevenage go to leaders Charlton and the Cumbrians will go sixth if they win and Stevenage lose.
Yeovil, meanwhile, have bolstered their squad ahead of the trip to Brunton Park by landing two players on loan from Middlesbrough.
Defender Jonathan Grounds and attacking midfielder Jonathan Franks have both joined for a month. “We need the reinforcements,” said manager Gary Johnson.
First published at 11:26, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)