Return of Loy a big boost for Carlisle United
Last updated at 11:35, Thursday, 03 January 2013
Greg Abbott has hailed the long-awaited return of Rory Loy to first-team action as a major boost – and challenged the Scot to press for a starting place.
The striker made his first Carlisle United appearance for more than a year when he came off the bench in the New Year’s Day defeat at Crewe.
There is now a big chance for Loy to stake his claim at a time when manager Abbott is without some of his other strikers.
Danny Cadamarteri remains out with injury while the outcome of Abbott’s transfer window pursuit of Joe Garner is still unclear.
Paddy Madden’s sale to Yeovil has also left United’s squad without a further frontman.
But Loy, who has recovered from a broken leg suffered at Preston on Boxing Day 2011, looked bright on his comeback appearance.
Abbott said: “I thought Rory did really well and with a bit more care and a bit more play and a bit more pitch-time he might have got that equaliser.
“He had a couple of half chances that he snatched at a little bit, but he looks quite sharp and it’s another real positive.
“Hopefully he can keep pushing on. It’s good to have him back around things.”
Abbott has long hoped to reunite the all-Scottish front three of Loy, Lee Miller and JP McGovern which shone for the Cumbrians last season.
Loy often featured on the left of that trio but to regain that position the 24-year-old will have to oust in-form Matty Robson.
First published at 11:28, Thursday, 03 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)