New signing vows to fire Carlisle into promotion race
Last updated at 10:25, Saturday, 28 June 2014
Billy Paynter has pledged to repay Carlisle United boss Graham Kavanagh by firing the Blues into the League Two promotion race next season.
The new boy, who has signed a two-year deal at Brunton Park, said he jumped at the chance to shoulder the goalscoring burden for United.
Former Swindon and Doncaster hitman Paynter turned down interest from League One and League Two clubs after talks with manager Kavanagh.
He arrived as one half of a double swoop along with ex-Brighton and Crawley midfielder Gary Dicker as Kavanagh’s rebuilding job gathered pace.
Paynter said: “When I spoke to the manager he really sold the club to me and how he wanted me to be a big part of it.
“It was really positive and what I wanted to hear. If he believes in me I want to repay that faith right back with performances and goals.
“I met other managers but the way [Kavanagh] spoke made the decision easy for me.
“We have to be in the promotion race and look to bounce back straight away. Everyone has to roll their sleeves up and take what happened last season on the chin.
“I have no problem whatsoever in dropping down leagues – it’s nice to be wanted and I’m excited about being here.”
Paynter was released by Doncaster at the end of last season after falling out of favour under manager Paul Dickov.
He had previously helped the Yorkshire outfit to promotion in 2013, and also made his mark with a 29-goal salvo for Swindon in League One in 2009/10.
The Liverpudlian believes he can rediscover his old form with the Blues.
He added: “Last season when the new manager came in at Doncaster with new ideas, it never really kicked off for me. I was going in to train knowing I was never going to get a game.
“I then went on loan to Sheffield United but the manager there was concentrating on the FA Cup run.
“It was a season to forget and I’m looking to put that behind me and get back scoring with Carlisle.
“I’m 29 with a bit of experience behind me and hopefully I can help the younger lads along as well.”
Kavanagh’s move for 27-year-old Dicker, meanwhile, has spelled the end at Brunton Park for midfielder James Berrett after four seasons at Brunton Park.
The Blues had offered him a two-year deal but with the 25-year-old yet to give Carlisle an answer, Kavanagh is now moving on.
“That’s now dead as far as I’m concerned,” Kavanagh said. “We gave [Berrett] a deadline and that’s passed with no response from him.
“I’ve moved on and I want to get another midfield player in.”
Kavanagh is in talks with three more players ahead of pre-season training on Tuesday, and said veteran Paul Thirlwell will sign his new one-year deal next week.
First published at 10:18, Saturday, 28 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Nice bit of sarcasm Jimmy. Sadly the the only thing to flock Brunton Park are the sheep round the back.
Having been critical of United and their lack of quality signings I must admit the signing of a proven goal scorer is a step in the right direction although more signings are required yet the signs are looking good shame it is a season to late.
View all 11 comments on this article