JP McGovern ready to quit Carlisle United
Last updated at 12:04, Wednesday, 13 June 2012
Jon-Paul McGovern is on the brink of a shock departure from Carlisle United.
In the surprise transfer move of the summer so far at Brunton Park, the wide man has emerged as a target for League Two side Rotherham and clubs in his Scottish homeland.
And News & Star Sport understands the 31-year-old is close to leaving the Blues after just one season.
The experienced McGovern, a key player during last season’s play-off push, has a year left on the two-year deal he signed after moving from Swindon last summer.
It is understood matters have developed quickly and that McGovern has even met Rotherham boss Steve Evans for talks.
That suggests United are willing to allow McGovern to leave – a move which will surprise fans after the impact the ex-Sheffield Wednesday man had last term.
The Blues today refused to confirm or deny that McGovern was on his way out. Media officer Andy Hall would only say: “He [McGovern] is a Carlisle United player and has a year on his contract. As far as we are concerned, that’s it.”
The Glaswegian player started 44 games and made six sub appearances for Carlisle last season, scoring five goals. He developed a close bond with fellow Scots Lee Miller and Rory Loy in a three-man attack. His loss would leave manager Greg Abbott with another gap to fill in a squad already deprived of Francois Zoko and Tom Taiwo after they rejected new deals.
The Blues' boss has so far made one summer recruit in Notts County defender Mike Edwards, who replaced Lubo Michalik after the Slovakian also turned down a new contract.
United will tomorrow learn their first opponents of the 2012/13 season when the first-round draw for the Capital One Cup.
The newly-sponsored League Cup sees Carlisle seeded in the northern section along with 10 Championship clubs.
The unseeded clubs – this is the only regionalised round – include derby rivals Preston and League new boys Fleetwood and York. The draw is made at 10am with the tie likely to be played on Tuesday, August 14, four days before the opening day of the League One campaign.
League fixtures are revealed next Monday.
First published at 11:26, Wednesday, 13 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Walney Central to host Yorkshire club in Challenge Cup
- Copeland leader backs single council for whole of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Large turnout for the popular AMEC Gosforth 10K road race
- Howzat for a victory
- Meeting demand for skilled, motivated people
- That's more like it - Raiders crush Hornets (1 comment)
- Confident Workington Comets ready for new season opener
- Dispute delays housing plan
- Millom pupils enjoy insight into Fairtrade work
- Darts star Taylor powers up in Ulverston
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services
- Poison pen mail sent to Millom woman (3 comments)
- New Millom School head tells of plans
- Neighbour called 999 after witnessing Millom killer's attack on dog
- Labour group in snub to first elected Copeland mayor
- Millom double death inquest concludes
- MP to hold ‘ideas fair’ in Millom
- Trips away boost Millom pupils' team-building skills
- Campaign to name baby found dead in Millom tip (12 comments)
- Police to ask if Millom deaths could have been avoided