Greg Abbott proud of Carlisle Utd players after six-goal thriller at Preston
Last updated at 10:15, Tuesday, 27 December 2011
Greg Abbott insisted he was proud of his players and Carlisle United’s fans after the “phenomenal” six-goal thriller at Preston.
The Blues manager refused to be downhearted after North End’s Jamie Douglas snatched a point for the hosts with a 92nd minute strike. The substitute’s late tap-in ended a remarkable Boxing Day derby clash in front of 17,580 fans – including around 4,500 Carlisle supporters.
The late drama cost United the victory that would have taken them into the play-off places.
But Abbott said: “It was a game that looked like it might have a sting in the tail.
“Unfortunately we couldn’t get the fourth when we had a couple of half-chances, and then Preston got a good well-worked third at the end.
“It was a phenomenal game. If you are a neutral, you would be buying a season ticket to watch us at the moment.
“The honesty shown by the players was fantastic. I was so proud to be part of it and I was so proud to be on the touchline today for our fans.”
Carlisle’s first game at Deepdale for 13 years saw Lee Miller convert a penalty before Iain Hume and Paul Parry replied for the Lilywhites.
The impressive Francois Zoko then levelled deep into first-half injury-time, and James Berrett’s deflected shot put the Blues on track for a memorable victory until Douglas struck at the death.
It left United eighth, a point behind sixth-placed Stevenage who leapt into the top six after a remarkable 6-1 win at John Ward’s Colchester.
Abbott – who described Zoko as “unplayable” – added: “At the moment we are feeling like a really tight football club, which is really important if we want to go anywhere.
“Take the last two minutes out of it and we more than competed against a big football club. I’m going to be biased and say we played the better football and if either side deserved to win, it was us.”
First published at 08:05, Tuesday, 27 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (83 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (27 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (22 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (41 comments)
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (17 comments)