Greg Abbott calls on fans to believe in Carlisle Utd promotion push
Last updated at 12:02, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Greg Abbott today called for an end to the negativity surrounding Carlisle United and urged fans to believe in their promotion push.
The Blues manager has already banged the drum for bigger crowds at Brunton Park to get behind Carlisle’s play-off bid.
And Abbott has followed that appeal with an attack on the doom-and-gloom merchants who repeatedly write his team off. United’s boss was responding to a question about Carlisle’s home form, which has seen the seventh-placed Blues go 13 matches without defeat at Brunton Park.
Abbott said: “That’s not something I think about – I just like people to praise us and credit us when it is due. I want everybody else to do it, not just me. I’m sick of hearing that we can’t do this, we can’t do that, we’re not this and not the other.
“Do you know what? There is something we can do, because we’re sitting seventh in the table.”
Abbott says bigger gates could help him sign a loan player to boost the promotion push whilst giving his current side the extra backing they deserve.
“Things are that tight with the gates that it stops you progressing,” he said.
“But we are giving everything we have got. We are not Huddersfield or Charlton or Sheffield Wednesday who can change three or four players when we have poor performances. We have a small group without great depth but they are performing admirably.
“Sheffield Wednesday had 36,000 fans the other week.
“Why don’t we pat ourselves on the back when we have beaten a side [Rochdale] who they failed to beat?”
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (33 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (19 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (25 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)