FIFA boss Blatter must quit after racism remarks, says former Carlisle Utd star
Last updated at 11:45, Tuesday, 22 November 2011
Carlisle United cult hero Dean Walling today joined the clamour for bungling FIFA chief Sepp Blatter to resign over the racism row engulfing football.
Walling today revealed the personal ordeal he suffered at the hands of racist rival fans while playing for the Blues during the 1990s.
The United Wembley hero believes Blatter’s position as head of football’s world governing body is untenable after he suggested those who had suffered racism on the pitch should simply shake hands with their abuser.
Walling said: “Coming out with those kind of comments to the whole world is just ridiculous and unfounded and he should resign.
“If Sepp Blatter was in any other business, the comments would be taken so seriously and he would be forced to resign or he would be sacked.
“It is time for him to move on.
“The problem is he thinks he is untouchable and he can come out with that sort of thing and not face any repercussions.”
Walling admitted he was left distraught after receiving racist abuse during matches and today reveals which fans were the worst offenders.
In a hard-hitting interview with News & Star Sport on racism within football, the former central defender, who made more than 250 appearances for Carlisle, said he first witnessed abuse when he was a teenage ball boy at Leeds United.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 22 November 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)