Ex-Hibs defender signs for Carlisle Utd until end of season
Last updated at 15:01, Friday, 11 January 2013
Carlisle United have signed central defender Sean O’Hanlon until the end of the season.
The 30-year-old had been on trial at the club since just before Christmas.
The former MK Dons and Hibs centre-half played in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Rangers on Tuesday, which the Cumbrians’ second-string won 2-1, and could be seen as an emergency solution to United’s defensive woes.
Manager Greg Abbott said they were delighted to sign him. "He's a big, strong player who has a lot of experience and games under his belt. We're really looking forward to working with him," he added.
Carlisle have been deprived of Mike Edwards, who has a hamstring injury, and Abbott has accepted that he needs reinforcements at the back. Peter Murphy is in line for a start against Coventry on Sunday (kick-off 3pm), with Manchester United loanee Sean McGinty another option at centre-half.
United are 18th after last weekend’s 4-0 thrashing at Swindon and in desperate need of another home victory to lift spirits. Abbott has already suffered one blow in the transfer window with striker Joe Garner snubbing Carlisle in favour of joining Preston.
Paddy Madden’s move to Yeovil at the start of the month has further reduced United’s squad and Abbott hopes the club’s thin funds can stretch far enough to help him bolster his ranks.
On the Sunday clash, at Brunton Park, with his home-city club, Abbott has promised his team will perform better than they managed in last weekend’s heavy defeat to Paolo Di Canio’s men.
“The players have to react or they are going to find themselves in a bit of trouble as well,” he said. “As a group we have to do it together, not any one man, individual, me or one player. It has to be a collective effort and collectively we have to be better.”
First published at 11:39, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Cash secured for £33m schools and sports campus (3 comments)